As any child with a baseball card intuitively knows, sports and statistics go hand-in-hand. Yet, the general media disdain the flood of sports statistics available today: sports are pure and analytic tools are not. Well, if the so-called purists find tools like baseball’s sabermetrics upsetting, then they’d better brace themselves for the new wave of data analytics.
In this O’Reilly report, Janine Barlow examines how advanced predictive analytics are impacting the world of sports—from the rise of tools such as Major League Baseball’s Statcast, which collects data on the movement of balls and players, to SportVU, which the National Basketball Association uses to collect spatial analysis data.
You’ll also learn:
- How "Dance Card" makes accurate predictions about NCAA’s "March Madness" tournament
- Why data is crumbling long-standing myths about performance in soccer
- How the National Football League is using wearable devices to collect vital health data about its players
It’s a new world in sports, where data analytics and related information technologies are changing the experience for teams, players, fans, and investors.
Table of contents
1. Data Analytics in Sports
- Predictive Analytics and the Secrets of the Dance Card
- Nostalgia, Statistics, and the Challenges of Motion Sensors
- The NBA: “A League Driven by Data”
- Using Data Analytics to Course-Correct
- Moving from Raw Data to Analytics
- Data in Soccer: Crumbling Long-Standing Myths About Performance
- Wearable Devices and the Future of Sports Analytics
- American Football and Strides in Technology
- Title: Data Analytics in Sports
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491927441
You might also like
Advances in Financial Machine Learning
Machine learning (ML) is changing virtually every aspect of our lives. Today ML algorithms accomplish tasks …
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …
Sports Analytics and Data Science: Winning the Game with Methods and Models
TO BUILD WINNING TEAMS AND SUCCESSFUL SPORTS BUSINESSES, GUIDE YOUR DECISIONS WITH DATA This up-to-the-minute reference …
Storytelling with Data
Influence action through data! This is not a book. It is a one-of-a-kind immersive learning experience …