Traditional engineering is built upon a world of knowledge and scientific laws, with components and systems that operate predictably. But what happens when a large number of these devices are interconnected? You get a complex system that’s no longer deterministic, but probabilistic. That’s happening today in many industries, including manufacturing, petroleum, transportation, and energy.
In this O’Reilly report, Sean Patrick Murphy, Chief Data Scientist at PingThings, describes how data science is helping electric utilities make sense of a stochastic world filled with increasing uncertainty—including fundamental changes to the energy market and random phenomena such as weather and solar activity.
Murphy also reviews several cutting-edge tools for storing and processing big data that he’s used in his work with electric utilities—tools that can help traditional engineers pursue a data-driven approach in many industries.
Topics in this report include:
- Key drivers that have changed the electric grid from a deterministic machine into probabilistic system
- Fundamental differences that put traditional engineering and data science at odds with one another
- Why the time is right for engineering organizations to adopt a complete data-driven approach
- Contemporary tools that traditional engineers can use to store and process big data
- A PingThings case study for dealing with random geomagnetic disturbances to the energy grid
Table of contents
Data and Electric Power
- From Deterministic Cars to Probabilistic Waze
- A Deterministic Grid
- Moving Toward a Stochastic System
- Traditional Engineering versus Data Science
- Understanding Data and the Engineering Organization
- Contemporary Big Data Tools for the Traditional Engineer
- Geomagnetic Disturbances—A Case Study of Approaches
- Title: Data and Electric Power
- Release date: March 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491951033
You might also like
Smart Grid: Communication-Enabled Intelligence for the Electric Power Grid
This book bridges the divide between the fields of power systems engineering and computer communication through …
Bayesian Statistics the Fun Way
Probability and statistics are increasingly important in a huge range of professions. But many people use …
Practical Time Series Analysis
Time series data analysis is increasingly important due to the massive production of such data through …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …