Traditional engineering is built upon a world of knowledge and scientific laws, with components and systems that operate predictably. But what happens when a large number of these devices are interconnected? You get a complex system that’s no longer deterministic, but probabilistic. That’s happening today in many industries, including manufacturing, petroleum, transportation, and energy.
In this O’Reilly report, Sean Patrick Murphy, Chief Data Scientist at PingThings, describes how data science is helping electric utilities make sense of a stochastic world filled with increasing uncertainty—including fundamental changes to the energy market and random phenomena such as weather and solar activity.
Murphy also reviews several cutting-edge tools for storing and processing big data that he’s used in his work with electric utilities—tools that can help traditional engineers pursue a data-driven approach in many industries.
Topics in this report include:
- Key drivers that have changed the electric grid from a deterministic machine into probabilistic system
- Fundamental differences that put traditional engineering and data science at odds with one another
- Why the time is right for engineering organizations to adopt a complete data-driven approach
- Contemporary tools that traditional engineers can use to store and process big data
- A PingThings case study for dealing with random geomagnetic disturbances to the energy grid
Table of contents
Data and Electric Power
- From Deterministic Cars to Probabilistic Waze
- A Deterministic Grid
- Moving Toward a Stochastic System
- Traditional Engineering versus Data Science
- Understanding Data and the Engineering Organization
- Contemporary Big Data Tools for the Traditional Engineer
- Geomagnetic Disturbances—A Case Study of Approaches
- Title: Data and Electric Power
- Release date: March 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491951033
You might also like
Electric Power Systems
Electric Power Systems: Advanced Forecasting Techniques and Optimal Generation Scheduling helps readers develop their skills in …
Power System Analysis
Power System Analysis is a comprehensive text designed for an undergraduate course in electrical engineering. Written …
Power System Analysis
Power System Analysis: A Dynamic Perspective a text designed to serve as a bridge between the …
Transportation and Power Grid in Smart Cities
With the increasing worldwide trend in population migration into urban centers, we are beginning to see …