This chapter covers the following topics:
• Overview of the use of SSL for web-based applications
• SSL operations, with focus on the SSL negotiation phase
• The importance of SSL session resumption to alleviate the performance impact of SSL on the servers
• SSL performance consideration in server farm environments with load balancing
• Public key infrastructure (PKI) aspects of SSL
• The SSL ciphers
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a fundamental protocol in today’s Data Centers. SSL is used in Internet Data Centers mainly for e-commerce and financial applications. It is used in intranet Data Centers to protect confidential information from being transported unencrypted over the enterprise network.
Besides the traditional ...