This chapter covers the following topics:
• The use of load-balancing devices to gracefully “shut down” servers in a server farm (that is, to gracefully redirect client requests to other servers in the cluster)
• How load balancers can prevent overload on servers by means of slowstart and with maxconnections settings
• How XML and SNMP allow applications to control load-balancing devices
• How load balancers can monitor the health of servers by means of in-band or out-of-band probes, and how to choose the probe to use
• The description of the most commonly used probes
• How to configure load-balancing devices to monitor virtual hosting environments
• How to configure load-balancing devices to monitor web ...