This chapter covers the following topics:
• The concept of session persistence as it relates to the HTTP, the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol, and application protocols that open multiple Layer 4 ports
• The use of proxy servers for Internet access, what a mega-proxy is, and how it affects the design of server load balancing
• Load balancing in the presence of servers that share information about user sessions
• Persistence mechanisms provided by server load balancers: predictors and sticky methods such as source IP sticky, cookie sticky, URL cookie sticky, HTTP redirection sticky, and SSL sticky
• How to implement session persistence for web-based applications by using the sticky methods ...