If you work for a company that develops products of one kind or another, you may have worked on a new feature you thought was truly awesome, only to discover later that it was a dismal failure. In this video course, Dan McKinley shares hard lessons that he learned at Etsy about the value of using data to drive product decisions.
Using several real-world case studies on proposed changes to Etsy’s website, Dan demonstrates why using appropriate metrics to evaluate any product idea is crucial in the early stages—before you spend too much time and money on something that may not pan out.
- Determine the type of data you need for analyzing specific product questions
- Prioritize product ideas based on several metrics—do the numbers add up?
- Examine case studies on two product ideas: one discarded and one pursued
- Understand the benefit of A/B testing for evaluating product prototypes
- Explore the novelty effect: products that only achieve short-term effects
- Look at three methods for attempting large strategic moves, based on case studies
- Learn how to win the trust of your community when introducing product changes
Dan McKinley is a web developer who spent seven years at Etsy, beginning in 2007 when it was still a fledgling company. During his tenure, he worked on activity feeds, search, recommendations, experimentation, and analytics. Dan currently works for Stripe, a company that provides a suite of APIs to help businesses accept online payments.
- Title: Data-Driven Products
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491926703
You might also like
Solutions Architect's Handbook
From fundamentals and design patterns to the different strategies for creating secure and reliable architectures in …
ODSC East 2018 (Open Data Science Conference)
ODSC The Open Data Science Conference has established itself as the leading conference in the field …
Amazon Web Services AWS LiveLessons 2nd Edition
More Than 17 Hours of Video Instruction More than 17 hours of video instruction on Amazon …
Regular Expressions Cookbook, 2nd Edition
Take the guesswork out of using regular expressions. With more than 140 practical recipes, this cookbook …