If you work for a company that develops products of one kind or another, you may have worked on a new feature you thought was truly awesome, only to discover later that it was a dismal failure. In this video course, Dan McKinley shares hard lessons that he learned at Etsy about the value of using data to drive product decisions.
Using several real-world case studies on proposed changes to Etsy’s website, Dan demonstrates why using appropriate metrics to evaluate any product idea is crucial in the early stages—before you spend too much time and money on something that may not pan out.
- Determine the type of data you need for analyzing specific product questions
- Prioritize product ideas based on several metrics—do the numbers add up?
- Examine case studies on two product ideas: one discarded and one pursued
- Understand the benefit of A/B testing for evaluating product prototypes
- Explore the novelty effect: products that only achieve short-term effects
- Look at three methods for attempting large strategic moves, based on case studies
- Learn how to win the trust of your community when introducing product changes
Dan McKinley is a web developer who spent seven years at Etsy, beginning in 2007 when it was still a fledgling company. During his tenure, he worked on activity feeds, search, recommendations, experimentation, and analytics. Dan currently works for Stripe, a company that provides a suite of APIs to help businesses accept online payments.
- Title: Data-Driven Products
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491926703
You might also like
O'Reilly Strata Data Conference 2019 - New York, New York
The 2019 Strata Data Conference NYC, the biggest Big Data conference in the world, was a …
Data Science Fundamentals Part 1: Learning Basic Concepts, Data Wrangling, and Databases with Python
20 Hours of Video Instruction Data Science Fundamentals LiveLessons teaches you the foundational concepts, theory, and …
Strata Data Conference 2019 - San Francisco, California
Thousands of the data scientists, analysts, engineers, developers, and executives converged at the Strata Data Conference …
Working with Algorithms in Python
Learn how to make your Python code more efficient by using algorithms to solve a variety …