R is the tool of choice for the business analyst faced with the daunting task of analyzing huge datasets. Unlike traditional analysis tools like Excel, R offers the flexibility to structure large datasets in a manner suitable for robust analysis. It also provides the speed and capacity necessary to run computations in a fast and efficient manner. This video teaches you how to use R and SQL to manipulate densely populated datasets for business analytics. You'll learn how to connect R to a SQL database, import data, commit queries from R, and how to replicate Excel functions like VLOOKUP and SUMIF to conduct advanced manipulation methods. Participants should be familiar with SQL databases and have some prior experience manipulating databases using Excel type software.
- Acquire the R skills that make it possible to effectively structure and analyze huge data sets
- Learn how to connect R to a SQL database, import data, and commit queries from R
- Understand how to use R to replicate Excel's traditional data structuring functions
- Pick up the best ways to categorize, plot, subset, and combine datasets in R
- Discover techniques for manipulating data inside R using dplyr, data.table, and tidyr
Michael Grogan is a data scientist who specializes in R, Python, and Shiny. As a consultant, Michael provides data science solutions to clients in healthcare, finance, and government. As an educator, Michael creates data science tutorials for organizations such as Data Science Central, Sitepoint, and O'Reilly Media. He holds a Master's degree in business economics from University College Cork.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to R and the RStudio Platform
- Introduction to Data Types
- Data Manipulation: Part I
- Data Manipulation: Part II
Working with JSON and SQL formats
- Importing and Exporting JSON Files 00:01:59
- R and SQL Interaction 00:02:43
- Use of dbSendQuery: Commit database queries with R 00:02:05
- Introduction to Time Series Data Formats
- Wrap Up and Thank You 00:01:34
- Title: Data Manipulation with R and SQL
- Release date: January 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492028505