A. Answers to Review Questions
1. The two main types of databases in use today are operational and analytical.
2. An analytical database stores static data.
3. True. An operational database is used primarily in OLTP scenarios.
4. The hierarchical and network database models were commonly used in the days before the relational database model.
5. In a parent/child relationship, a parent table can be associated with one or more child tables, but a single child table can be associated with only one parent table.
7. The relational model is based on two branches of mathematics—set theory and first-order predicate logic.