DBA Survivor is a book to help new DBAs understand more about the world of database administration. This book injects some humor into helping you understand how to hit the ground running, and most importantly how to survive as a DBA.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewers
1. How Did I Get Here?
- 1.1. My Journey
- 1.2. Other Journeys
- 1.3. Your Journey
- 1.4. Staying Focused
2. Now What Do I Do?
- 2.1. What You Have in Common with the President
- 2.2. Your Initial Checklist
- 2.3. You Have Your Info, Now What?
- 2.4. Is That Alert Serious?
- 2.5. Should I Look Into That Alert?
- 2.6. Hi, Want to Grab Some Lunch?
- 2.7. Track Your Progress
- 2.8. Get Proactive
3. Some Basics
- 3.1. Introduction to RAID
- 3.2. The ABCs of SANs for DBAs
- 3.3. High Availability Options
- 3.4. Disaster Recovery Planning
- 3.5. Networks Are Like Bathrooms
- 3.6. DBA Stands For . . .
- 3.7. Blame vs. Credit
- 3.8. The Need to Be Right vs. Being Liked
4. A Development Server Is a Production Server to a Developer
- 4.1. Why Developers Are So Needy
- 4.2. Service-Level Agreements
- 4.3. Managing Expectations
- 4.4. Time Management
- 4.5. Chris Hansen and Code Reviews
5. Production Support
- 5.1. Service-Level Agreements
- 5.2. Establish Support Process
- 5.3. Work/Life Balance
- 5.4. Outsourcing
6. Basic Troubleshooting
- 6.1. CSI: SQL
- 6.2. Common Bottlenecks
6.3. Available Tools
- 6.3.1. Reliability and Performance Monitor
- 6.3.2. Activity Monitor
- 6.3.3. Dynamic Management Views (DMVs)
- 6.3.4. Wait Stats
- 6.3.5. SQL Profiler
- 6.3.6. Web Sites
7. Where's the Buffet?
- 7.1. Food Can Be a Drug
- 7.2. Social Gatherings
- 7.3. Exercise
- 7.4. Life Is Good, but It's Better with Bacon
8. Training, Get You Some of That
- 8.1. Reasons for Training
- 8.2. Employee Benefits
- 8.3. Business Benefits
- 8.4. Training Resources
- 8.5. Building Your Case
9. Connect. Learn. Share.
- 9.1. Communication
- 9.2. Professional Associations
- 9.3. Networking Basics
- 10. Summary
- Title: DBA Survivor: Become a Rock Star DBA
- Release date: March 2010
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430227878