Make better decisions – every day, everywhere! Decide and Conquer, Second Editionbrings together all the practical skills you need to do just that. This quick, concise book identifies every key obstacle to quality decision-making and shows exactly how to overcome them. You'll discover how your personality impacts your decision-making, why instincts and experience can lead you astray, how to simplify complex decisions without oversimplifying them and much more.
Renowned management author Dr. Stephen P. Robbins translates cutting-edge research findings about human behavior and decision-making into language anyone can understand – and act upon. In this Second Edition, he provides many new and updated examples, updated research, and new coverage, including these crucial new topics:
Are you a Maximizer or a Satisficer – and what it means for your decision-making
Overcoming the familiarity bias, adaptation bias, and fear-of-loss bias
How to stop throwing good money after bad
Knowing when doing nothing is your best option
Accounting for gendered decision-making styles
Decide and Conquer, Second Editioncovers everything from goal-setting and risk-taking to overconfidence to procrastination, and offers indispensable insights for overcoming the multiple biases that are built into all human decision-makers. You'll use Robbins' powerful techniques to improve every decision you make – about your relationships, career, finances, everything!
Table of Contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- About the Author
- Part I: Introduction
Part II: How Do You Make Decisions?
- 4. What’s Your Decision Style?
- 5. Are You a Risk-Taker?
- 6. Are You a Maximizer or Satisficer?
- 7. Who Controls Your Destiny?
- 8. Do You Procrastinate?
- 9. Are You Impulsive?
- 10. Can You Control Your Emotions?
- 11. Are You Overconfident?
- 12. Understanding Your Personality Profile
Part III: Common Biases and Errors That Most of Us Make (and How to Overcome Them)
- 13. How Can You Be So Darn Sure About That? Coping with Overconfidence
- 14. Never Do Today That Which You Can Do Tomorrow: The Inertia Bias
- 15. I Want It, and I Want It NOW! The Immediate Gratification Bias
- 16. Where You End Up Depends on Where You Start: The Anchoring Effect
- 17. I’ll See It When I Believe It: The Selective Perception Bias
- 18. I Hear What I Want to Hear: The Confirmation Bias
- 19. Is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full? The Framing Bias
- 20. What Have You Done for Me Lately? The Availability Bias
- 21. Looks Can Be Deceiving: The Representation Bias
- 22. Seeing Patterns That Aren’t There: Coping with Randomness
- 23. I Only Like Change That Jingles in My Pocket: The Familiarity Bias
- 24. Gone Is Not Always Forgotten: Understanding Sunk Costs
- 25. Keep It Simple: The Limited Search Error
- 26. Losing Your Head in the Heat of Battle: The Emotional Involvement Error
- 27. Who You Gonna Blame? The Self-Serving Bias
- 28. Novelty Wears Off: The Adaptation Bias
- 29. I Knew It All the Time: The Hindsight Bias
Part IV: Advice Your Mother Never Gave You
- 30. Clear Goals and Preferences Make Choosing a Lot Easier
- 31. Sometimes Doing Nothing Is Your Best Option
- 32. Choosing Not to Decide Is Still a Decision
- 33. Decisions Are Not Made in Isolation
- 34. All Decisions Aren’t Important
- 35. More Information Isn’t Necessarily Better
- 36. You Can Have Too Much of a Good Thing
- 37. Don’t Rehash Past Decisions
- 38. Successful People Take Risks
- 39. It’s Okay to Make Mistakes, or No One Has an Undefeated Season
- 40. Experience Can Improve Decisions, But...
- 41. Where You’re from Influences How You Decide
- Part V: An Epilogue
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Chapter 9
- Chapter 10
- Chapter 11
- Chapter 13
- Chapter 14
- Chapter 15
- Chapter 16
- Chapter 17
- Chapter 18
- Chapter 19
- Chapter 20
- Chapter 21
- Chapter 22
- Chapter 23
- Chapter 24
- Chapter 25
- Chapter 26
- Chapter 27
- Chapter 28
- Chapter 29
- Chapter 30
- Chapter 31
- Chapter 32
- Chapter 35
- Chapter 36
- Chapter 37
- Chapter 38
- Chapter 39
- Chapter 40
- Chapter 41
- Title: Decide and Conquer: The Ultimate Guide for Improving Your Decision Making, Second Edition
- Release date: October 2014
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780133966862