Here is the basic 12-step degunking process that you’ll follow in this book:
1. Get rid of files and programs you don’t need.
2. Organize your remaining files and folders.
3. Clean up your Desktop, Start menu, and Taskbar.
4. Optimize your hard drive and limit the programs that run in the background.
5. Clean up and secure Internet Explorer and consider alternative web browsers.
6. Reduce your e-mail spam, learn how to back up e-mail, and organize your mail.
7. Install Windows updates and/or reconfigure antivirus, antimalware, and antiadware programs.
8. Clean up your network and create a homegroup.
9. Fix problems with media, including duplicate files, files that won’t play, and orphaned files.
10. Optimize syncing ...