Making the most out of one’s technology requires aligning use to context. Not everyone needs the most powerful tools in the world. Everyone, however, needs purpose-built tools if they’re to succeed. Using a motorbike when one needs a truck is a recipe doomed to failure.
Technology can be baffling even to those comfortable with advanced analytics. Most organizations struggle with:
- Using inappropriate tools simply because they’re available.
- Getting access to the processing horsepower they need to solve increasingly hard problems.
- Working in environments in which they need to be mobile but share their work with others.
- Driving down platform maintenance costs.
The solutions described in the next section focus on techniques and approaches to overcome these challenges.
MOVING BEYOND THE SPREADSHEET
- Drive outcomes, not insight
- Automate everything non-value-added
- Minimize custom development
- Keep things simple
- Scaling past the PC
- Staying mobile and connected
- Moving to operational analytics
- Understanding the data value chain
- Creating data-management processes
The Background: What’s Easy Isn’t Necessarily Right
Analysis has never been easier—tools such as spreadsheets ...