Keyboards and input screens still work for mobile devices, but they just might disappear for some wearables and IoT devices. How viable is voice interface as an alternative? This O’Reilly report looks into recent advances in computing power and natural language processing (NLP), as well as the skills necessary to create intuitive, discoverable voice interfaces that users can navigate with ease.
Voice interfaces have been around, at least in our imaginations, long before Captain Kirk addressed the Enterprise’s shipboard computer. Author Laura Klein covers the past, present, and future of voice interfaces, and shows you how to take advantage of recent advances—and tackle existing problems—to produce a viable user experience design for voice.
- Learn the state of the art in NLP (Watson, Siri) and voice recognition (Android)
- Understand problems engineers face with discoverability and navigation
- Delve into different voice interface use contexts, including privacy, interactivity, and mobility (in moving vehicles)
- Use voice naturally with other input methods, such as swiping, tapping, gestures, and physical buttons
- Make users feel secure, let them easily recover from mistakes, and help them make voice input a habit
- Learn how voice input is being used with IoT devices
Table of contents
1. Design for Voice Interfaces
- A (Very) Brief History of Talking to Computers
- A Bit About Voice and Audio Technology
- VUI versus GUI: What’s New and What’s Not
- Pure VUI versus Multimodal Interfaces
- How Long Until Star Trek???
- Title: Design for Voice Interfaces
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491934579
You might also like
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …