Businesses own more data than ever before, but it's of no value if you don't know how to use it. Data governance manages the people, processes, and strategy needed for deploying data projects to production. But doing it well is far from easy: Less than one fourth of business leaders say their organizations are data driven. In Designing Data Governance from the Ground Up, you'll build a cross-functional strategy to create roadmaps and stewardship for data-focused projects, embed data governance into your engineering practice, and put processes in place to monitor data after deployment.
In the last decade, the amount of data people produced grew 3,000 percent. Most organizations lack the strategy to clean, collect, organize, and automate data for production-ready projects. Without effective data governance, most businesses will keep failing to gain value from the mountain of data that's available to them.
There's a plethora of content intended to help DataOps and DevOps teams reach production, but 90 percent of projects trained with big data fail to reach production because they lack governance.
This book shares six steps you can take to build a data governance strategy from scratch. You'll find a data framework, pull together a team of data stewards, build a data governance team, define your roadmap, weave data governance into your development process, and monitor your data in production
Whether you're a chief data officer or individual contributor, this book will show you how to manage up, get the buy-in you need to build data governance, find the right colleagues to co-create data governance, and keep them engaged for the long haul.
Table of contents
- 1. Find Your Data Framework
- 2. Select Data Stewards
- 3. Build Your Data Governance Council
- 4. Write Your Data Roadmap
- 5. Practice Governance-Driven Development
6. Monitor Data in Production
- Make a Plan to Govern Data Throughout the Life Cycle
- Practice Data Mesh Principles
- Automate Federated Data Governance
- Execute Data Security Standards
- Set Specific Goals for Your Production Monitoring
- Use Data Lineage Tracking
- Use Feature Stores to Prevent Data Drift
- Ship New Data as Deployable Units
- Track Regulation Changes
- Your Next Step
- Title: Designing Data Governance from the Ground Up
- Release date: January 2023
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9798888650189
You might also like
This book is for any manager or team leader that has the green light to implement …
In this video, data management expert John Adler leads you through the maze of data governance …
Data Governance: The Definitive Guide
As you move data to the cloud, you need to consider a comprehensive approach to data …
The Self-Service Data Roadmap
Data-driven insights are a key competitive advantage for any industry today, but deriving insights from raw …