Today’s interaction designers generally operate within well-researched and documented constraints for both web and mobile applications—but not for much longer. By mixing the real and virtual worlds, new products such as Hololens, DAQRI, Meta, and Magic Leap clearly demonstrate that designers no longer have to confine user interfaces to a screen.
In this O’Reilly report, author Kharis O’Connell guides you through the new realm of mixed reality. You’ll discover the difference between designing for arenas rather than web or mobile screen rectangles, and examine some of the supporting tools, technologies, and techniques that will enable you to make the transition.
- Display information by understanding the limitations and differences between a "light-field" and an LCD screen
- Explore concepts for transitioning from a 2D to a 3D mindset
- Examine different input methods and technologies, from touch to hearing to speaking
- Understand how tomorrow’s designers will need to manifest information at the right time in the right place
- Learn which industries will benefit from these new tools, and what new industries could emerge
Table of contents
- 1. What Exactly Is “Mixed Reality”?
- 2. What Are the End-User Benefits of Mixing the Virtual with the Real?
- 3. How Is Designing for Mixed Reality Different from Other Platforms?
- 4. Examples of Approaches to Date
5. Future Fictions Around the Principles of Interaction
- Frameworks for Guidance: Space, Motion, Flow
- How to Mockup the Future: Effective Prototyping
- Less Boxes and Arrows, More Infoblobs and Contextual Lassos
- PowerPoint and Keynote Are Your Friends!
- Using Processing for UI Mockups
- Building Actual MR Experiences
- The Usability Standards and Metrics for Tomorrow
6. Where Are the High-Value Areas of Investigation?
- The Speculative Landscape for MR Adoption
- Emergent Futures: What Kinds of Business Could Grow Alongside Mixed Reality?
- 7. The Near-Future Impact on Society
- Title: Designing for Mixed Reality
- Release date: September 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491962381
You might also like
Speak with Confidence
In Speak with Confidence: Overcome Self-Doubt, Communicate Clearly, and Inspire Your Audience, keynote speaker, author, and …
Design for How People Think
User experience doesn’t happen on a screen; it happens in the mind, and the experience is …
Fall in Love with the Problem, Not the Solution
Unicorns-companies that reach a valuation of more than $1 billion-are rare. Uri Levine has built two. …
Joy of Agility
Agility enables you, your team, and your organization to streamline slow and awkward actions, overcome obstacles …