Layout in CSS has always been a tricky task: hacking solutions using positioning, floats, and the one-dimensional flexbox has never been very satisfactory. Fortunately, there is a new tool to add to our arsenal: CSS Grid Layout. It is an incredibly powerful layout system that allows us to design pages using a two-dimensional grid - offering the kind of fine-grained layout control that print designers take for granted!
Grid Layout has been in development for a while, but has recently been made a W3C candidate recommendation and has been added to most of the major browsers, so is ready for prime time.
This short selection of tutorials, hand-picked from SitePoint's HTML & CSS channel, will get you up and running with Grid Layout and using it on your own sites in no time.
This collection includes:
- An Introduction to the CSS Grid Layout Module by Ahmad Ajmi
- Seven Ways You Can Place Elements Using CSS Grid Layout by Nitish Kumar
- How to Order and Align Items in Grid Layout by Nitish Kumar
- A Step by Step Guide to the Auto- Placement Algorithm in CSS Grid by Nitish Kumar
- How I Built a Pure CSS Crossword Puzzle by Adrian Roworth
This book is suitable for front end developers and web designers with some CSS experience.
Table of Contents
- Designing with CSS Grid Layout
- Notice of Rights
- Notice of Liability
- Trademark Notice
- About SitePoint
- Chapter 1: An Introduction to the CSS Grid Layout Module
- Chapter 2: Seven Ways You Can Place Elements Using CSS Grid Layout
- Chapter 3: How to Order and Align Items in Grid Layout
Chapter 4: A Step by Step Guide to the AutoPlacement Algorithm in CSS Grid
- Basic Concepts for a Better Grasp of the Autoplacement Algorithm
- Step #1: Generation of Anonymous Grid Items
- Step #2: Placement of Elements with an Explicitly Specified Position
- Step #3: Placement of Elements With a Set Row Position but No Set Column Position
- Step #4: Determining the Number of Columns in the Implicit Grid
- Step #5: Placement of Remaining Items
- Chapter 5: How I Built a Pure CSS Crossword Puzzle
- Title: Designing with CSS Grid Layout
- Release date: July 2017
- Publisher(s): SitePoint
- ISBN: 9780995382749