Professional Supervision is a core component of maintaining professional practice and accreditation for many professions particularly in the community and human services sector. Professions such as Social Workers, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Teachers, Nurses, Midwives, Doctors, Counsellors and Psychologists are encouraged to access regular professional supervision as part of maintaining professional standards in their role; engage self care; promote ongoing growth and development; and meet organisational requirements.
Throughout her career, Tracey Harris had had a passion for the role that professional and operational supervision has in the workplace. She has developed a systematic framework that ensures supervision remains effective and sustainable over time. As part of the supervision platform and system, Tracey has developed a range of unique resources, tools and documents for beginning supervisory practitioners to assist them to develop the necessary skills to feel confident and supported in their new role. She has developed seven integrated supervision models that provide a common language framework for all roles in the organizational and business context.
Developing Supervisory Excellence: A Practice Guide for the New Professional Supervisor is the first text of its kind to integrate the existing frameworks of supervision into a comprehensive model of practice, providing new supervisors with a clear procedural and practice guide for conducting professional and operational supervision. In addition, it provides new supervisors with a range of resources to support, record, track, and evaluate the supervision process and outcomes.
- Outlines the different types of supervision and provides reflective questions to encourage new supervisors to reflect on what supervision is, its purpose, what it hopes to achieve and explores what inadequate supervision looks like.
- Provides new supervisors with a guide on what to look for in quality training, what key topics are useful in training and concludes with reflective questions for new supervisors to consider when thinking about engaging in training.
- Provides a detailed analysis of the benefits of providing and engaging in professional supervision.
- Provides key information for new supervisors about how to set up supervision and build rapport in the supervisory relationship.
- Explores how to maintain professional boundaries and the process of providing and receiving helpful feedback.
- Outlined and provides examples of relevant documents to use in supervision given the ethical and industrial nature of supervision.
- Discusses the value of evaluating professional supervision and includes reflective questions for supervisors to consider as they develop a framework for evaluation.
- Discusses the core differences between the supervision styles and how to manage the dual role of line and professional supervisor.
- Outlines an example framework for assessing competency and capability for new supervisors.
Table of contents
- Half Title Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Chapter 1 Understanding the Role of Supervision
- Chapter 2 Line Management and Professional Supervision
- Chapter 3 Quality Supervision Training
Chapter 4 Setting the Context for Effective Supervision
- Setting Up the First Supervision Meeting
- New Supervisors Information Sheet
- Supervisor Reflection Questions
- Completing the Supervision Agreement
- The Bounds of Confidentiality
- Supervision Policy
- Setting the Agenda
- The PASE Model
- Supervision Schedule Record
- The Supervision Structure
- Closing the Supervision Meeting
- End of Supervision Meeting Checklist
- Sample Supervision Evaluation Reflective Questions
- Supervisor Self-Reflection Checklist
- Chapter 4 Summary
- Chapter 5 Conducting Subsequent Supervision Meetings
- Chapter 6 Developing the Supervisory Relationship
- Chapter 7 Evaluating Supervision
- Chapter 8 Capability Frameworks for New Supervisors
- Title: Developing Leadership Excellence
- Release date: June 2018
- Publisher(s): Productivity Press
- ISBN: 9781351170543
You might also like
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)
Managing people is fraught with challenges—even if you're a seasoned manager. Here's how to handle them. …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Think on Your Feet
“[Think on Your Feet] is a helpful maven’s guide ideal for anyone who views a podium …
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …