Single-purpose databases were designed to address specific problems and use cases. Given this narrow focus, there are inherent tradeoffs required when trying to accommodate multiple datatypes or workloads in your enterprise environment. The result is data fragmentation that spills over into application development, IT operations, data security, system scalability, and availability.
In this report, author Alice LaPlante explains why developing modern, data-driven applications may be easier and more synergistic when using a converged database. Senior developers, architects, and technical decision-makers will learn cloud-native application development techniques for working with both structured and unstructured data. You'll discover ways to run transactional and analytical workloads on a single, unified data platform.
This report covers:
- Benefits and challenges of using a converged database to develop data-driven applications
- How to use one platform to work with both structured and unstructured data that includes JSON, XML, text and files, spatial and graph, Blockchain, IoT, time series, and relational data
- Modern development practices on a converged database, including API-driven development, containers, microservices, and event streaming
- Use case examples including online food delivery, real-time fraud detection, and marketing based on real-time analytics and geospatial targeting
Table of contents
Developing Modern Applications with a Converged Database
- Data-Driven Applications: The New Gold Standard of Enterprise Software
- Single-Purpose Specialty Databases
- Converged Databases
- Moving to Modern Development Paradigms
- Converged or Single-Purpose Database: Which is Right for Your Use Case?
- Conclusion: Avoiding the Innovator’s Dilemma
- Title: Developing Modern Applications with a Converged Database
- Release date: August 2021
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781098107376
You might also like
The Design of Web APIs
Drawing on author Arnaud Lauret's many years of API design experience, this book teaches you how …
Cloud Native Patterns
With 25 years of experience under her belt, Cornelia Davis teaches you the practices and patterns …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …
Architecture Patterns with Python
As Python continues to grow in popularity, projects are becoming larger and more complex. Many Python …