Single-purpose databases were designed to address specific problems and use cases. Given this narrow focus, there are inherent tradeoffs required when trying to accommodate multiple datatypes or workloads in your enterprise environment. The result is data fragmentation that spills over into application development, IT operations, data security, system scalability, and availability.
In this report, author Alice LaPlante explains why developing modern, data-driven applications may be easier and more synergistic when using a converged database. Senior developers, architects, and technical decision-makers will learn cloud-native application development techniques for working with both structured and unstructured data. You'll discover ways to run transactional and analytical workloads on a single, unified data platform.
This report covers:
- Benefits and challenges of using a converged database to develop data-driven applications
- How to use one platform to work with both structured and unstructured data that includes JSON, XML, text and files, spatial and graph, Blockchain, IoT, time series, and relational data
- Modern development practices on a converged database, including API-driven development, containers, microservices, and event streaming
- Use case examples including online food delivery, real-time fraud detection, and marketing based on real-time analytics and geospatial targeting
Table of contents
Developing Modern Applications with a Converged Database
- Data-Driven Applications: The New Gold Standard of Enterprise Software
- Single-Purpose Specialty Databases
- Converged Databases
- Moving to Modern Development Paradigms
- Converged or Single-Purpose Database: Which is Right for Your Use Case?
- Conclusion: Avoiding the Innovator’s Dilemma
- Title: Developing Modern Applications with a Converged Database
- Release date: August 2021
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781098107376
You might also like
Software development today is embracing events and streaming data, which optimizes not only how technology interacts …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Generative Deep Learning, 2nd Edition
Generative AI is the hottest topic in tech. This practical book teaches machine learning engineers and …
Python for Data Analysis, 3rd Edition
Get the definitive handbook for manipulating, processing, cleaning, and crunching datasets in Python. Updated for Python …