Gain in-depth insight into DevOps relative to your field of expertise and implement effective DevOps culture and processes within your organization
- Packed with step-by-step explanations and practical examples to help you get started with DevOps
- Develop the skills and knowledge you need to tackle the deployment of DevOps tools
- Discover technology trends such as FinOps and DevSecOps to get more value from DevOps
DevOps is a set of best practices enabling operations and development teams to work together to produce higher-quality work and, among other things, quicker releases. This book helps you to understand the fundamentals needed to get started with DevOps, and prepares you to start deploying technical tools confidently.
You will start by learning the key steps for implementing successful DevOps transformations. The book will help you to understand how aspects of culture, people, and process are all connected, and that without any one of these elements DevOps is unlikely to be successful. As you make progress, you will discover how to measure and quantify the success of DevOps in your organization, along with exploring the pros and cons of the main tooling involved in DevOps. In the concluding chapters, you will learn about the latest trends in DevOps and find out how the tooling changes when you work with these specialties.
By the end of this DevOps book, you will have gained a clear understanding of the connection between culture, people, and processes within DevOps, and learned why all three are critically important.
What you will learn
- Understand the importance of culture in DevOps
- Build, foster, and develop a successful DevOps culture
- Discover how to implement a successful DevOps framework
- Measure and define the success of DevOps transformation
- Get to grips with techniques for continuous feedback and iterate process changes
- Discover the tooling used in different stages of the DevOps life cycle
Who this book is for
This book is for IT professionals such as support engineers and systems engineers and developers looking to learn DevOps and for those going through DevOps transformation. General knowledge of IT and business processes will be helpful. You'll also find this book useful if you are in a business or service role within technology such as service delivery management. Basic familiarity with DevOps and transformational methods such as value streams and process are needed to get the most out of this book.
Table of contents
- DevOps Adoption Strategies: Principles, Processes, Tools, and Trends
- About the author
- About the reviewers
- Section 1: Principles of DevOps and Agile
Chapter 1: Introducing DevOps and Agile
- Exploring the goals of DevOps
- Values associated with DevOps
- Challenges solved by DevOps
- Phases of DevOps maturity
- How does Agile play a part in DevOps?
Chapter 2: Business Benefits, Team Topologies, and Pitfalls of DevOps
- Key business benefits of DevOps
- Transformation topologies
- Transformation anti-patterns
- Avoiding failed transformation projects
Chapter 3: Measuring the Success of DevOps
- Common metrics used to measure success
- Designing metrics for your team
- Creating rollups at an organizational level
- Section 2: Developing and Building a Successful DevOps Culture
Chapter 4: Building a DevOps Culture and Breaking Down Silos
- What is a DevOps culture?
- Why is culture important?
- Maintaining a strong culture
- Breaking down silos in your organization
Chapter 5: Avoiding Cultural Anti-Patterns in DevOps
- Organizational alignment
- Resistance to change
- Difficulty scaling up
- Excessively focusing on tooling
- Legacy infrastructure and systems
- Section 3: Driving Change and Maturing Your Processes
Chapter 6: Driving Process Change with Value Stream Maps
- Understanding value stream mapping
- How does value stream mapping help?
- Analyzing differences between process maps and value stream maps
- Explaining an example value stream map
Chapter 7: Delivering Process Change in Your Organization
- Eight steps for effective change
- Models for business change
- People effects of process change
- The common challenges of process change
Chapter 8: Continuous Improvement of Processes
- What is continuous improvement and feedback?
- Techniques for continuous improvement and feedback
- Iterating changes to processes
- Keeping pace with change
- Section 4: Implementing and Deploying DevOps Tools
Chapter 9: Understanding the Technical Stack for DevOps
- What are the families of DevOps tools?
- How does tooling help the adoption of DevOps?
- Understanding the benefits of DevOps tooling
- Understanding the obstacles of DevOps tooling
Chapter 10: Developing a Strategy for Implementing Tooling
- Understanding architectural and security requirements
- Developing training plans to help your team
- Defining owners and processes for tooling
Chapter 11: Keeping Up with Key DevOps Trends
- What is XOps?
- Understanding the DataOps ecosystem
- Understanding the DevSecOps ecosystem
- Understanding the GitOps ecosystem
Chapter 12: Implementing DevOps in a Real-World Organization
- Understanding why organizations move to DevOps
- Defining our fictional organization
- Walk-through of DevOps transformation
- Why subscribe?
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: DevOps Adoption Strategies: Principles, Processes, Tools, and Trends
- Release date: July 2021
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781801076326
You might also like
Establishing SRE Foundations: A Step-by-Step Guide to Introducing Site Reliability Engineering in Software Delivery Organizations
Improve Your Service Scalability and Reliability with SRE “The techniques and principles of SRE are not …
The DevOps Handbook
Increase profitability, elevate work culture, and exceed productivity goals through DevOps practices.
Lean DevOps: A Practical Guide to On Demand Service Delivery
Beyond tools and hype! Today’s pragmatic guide to implementing DevOps across even the most complex entire …
Technology Strategy Patterns
Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language …