Despite the size or scale of your production environment, your organization can gain significant value by adopting DevOps practices. Yet most organizations today still deploy application code and packages manually. To facilitate your adoption of DevOps-style practices, this hands-on guide shows you how to automate your IT operations using HashiCorp Terraform and VMware.
DevOps is as much a people and process change as it is a technology change. Terraform and VMware provide the automation infrastructure, so you can focus on acquiring and adapting DevOps skills and processes. Eric Wright, technology evangelist at Turbonomic, shows architects and administrators how to build and operate VMware vSphere virtual machines and infrastructure using the Terraform CLI.
With this report, you will:
- Learn how to codify virtual infrastructure step-by-step
- Understand how DevOps processes apply to VMware infrastructure
- Easily build VMware virtual machines and applications as Terraform resources
- Perform lifecycle management and immutable concepts using Terraform and VMware
Table of contents
1. Infrastructure as Code and Immutable Infrastructure Concepts
- Terraform Terminology and Component Descriptions
- Why DevOps and IaC?
- Immutable Concepts and Capabilities with Terraform
- Terraform Features of the VMware vSphere Provider
- Operational Practices for Terraform
- Storing Secrets
- Terraform Process Flow
- Why Terraform for VMware?
2. Deploying and Configuring Virtual Machines
- Configuring Your Terraform Environment
- Building a Simple Virtual Machine Resource from a Template
- Running Tasks and Scripts after VM Deployment
- Controlling and Using Snapshots
- Terraform Taint and Untaint
- What We Learned
- 3. Managing vSphere Host and Cluster Resources
- 4. Next Steps in Your Terraform for VMware vSphere Journey
- Title: DevOps Automation with Terraform and VMware
- Release date: September 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492073758
You might also like
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Infrastructure as Code, 2nd Edition
Just five years ago, infrastructure as code was a new concept for many companies. Today, even …
Modern System Administration
Early system administration required in-depth knowledge of a variety of services on individual systems. Now, the …
Linux Administration Cookbook
Over 100 recipes to get up and running with the modern Linux administration ecosystem Key Features …