• Civil liberties advocates suggest that a new legal framework is needed to protect personal privacy in the digital economy.
• Personal data has been made increasingly vulnerable through hacking, fraud, and company negligence.
• The nature of the Internet means that once published, personal data is irretrievable.
• The Snowden revelations on NSA monitoring activities alarmed privacy advocates and undermined trust in US businesses.
• Conflicting data privacy laws are creating friction between the United States and other nations and undermining US company competitiveness.
• If not resolved, these Big Data issues could lead to the “Balkanization” of the Internet.
Until this point, we have looked ...