DC3DD was developed by the Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center and is updated whenever DD updates. DC3DD offers the best of DD with more features, including:
- On-the-fly hashing using more algorithm choices (MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, and SHA-512)
- A meter to monitor progress and acquisition time
- Writing of errors to a file
- Splitting of output files
- Verification of files
- Wiping of output files (pattern wiping)
Although we'll only be looking at DD and DC3DD, there is also another tool called DCFLDD, which can be installed on Linux-based systems. DCFLDD is an enhanced version of DD and is maintained and supported by the Defense Computer Forensics Labs (DCFL) with its own release schedule, unlike DC3DD which updates ...
Get Digital Forensics with Kali Linux now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.