Book descriptionVenture deep into the heart of finance's weird and wonderful paradoxes
Dinosaur Derivatives and Other Trades is an entertaining and compelling tour de force highlighting the paradoxes inherent to the modern financial system. Presented as a series of striking case studies, this book explores certain enigmatic or philosophical puzzles in the finance industry; some of these puzzles may seem slightly absurd at first glance, but all are very relevant to the way finance is conducted in the real world. Each story highlights specific hypocrisies or moral dilemmas that lie at the heart of the system, guiding readers through the challenges of finance by way of innovative and memorable paradigms. Written in clear, accessible language, this book doesn't claim to offer original financial theory or philosophy as such, but instead deepens the reader's understanding of the system and stimulates independent consideration of the current state of affairs.
The financial world, so often viewed as a rather dull place, is secretly alive with possibilities of strange and sometimes wonderful conundrums. There is the possibility, for instance, of a Manhattan auction house selling derivatives to buy swift-swimming predators known as Megalodons (thought to be extinct for millions of years). This book explores this and other curious propositions to point out the paradoxes of finance.
- Explore the meaning of "value" in different contexts
- Learn what the Old Testament can teach us about risk and uncertainty
- Examine an alternative take on the 2007/2008 credit crisis
- Consider how the "financial innovation" trend impacts the industry
To truly understand something, it is necessary to crawl deep into the metaphorical underbelly and have a look around. Dinosaur Derivatives and Other Trades provides the itinerary, and the insightful discussion that stimulates curiosity.
Table of contents
- Series Page
- Title Page
- About the Author
- Chapter 1: What is Value?
- Chapter 2: What is Uncertainty?
- Chapter 3: What is a Contract?
- Chapter 4: What is a Financial Instrument?
- Chapter 5: What is Financial Innovation?
- Chapter 6: What is Ownership?
- Chapter 7: What is Money?
- Chapter 8: What is Taxation?
- Chapter 9: What is Fraud?
- Chapter 10: What is Regulation?
- Chapter 11: What is a Bankrupt?
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Dinosaur Derivatives and Other Trades
- Release date: January 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119019596
You might also like
Machine Learning Pocket Reference
With detailed notes, tables, and examples, this handy reference will help you navigate the basics of …
Learn how graph algorithms can help you leverage relationships within your data to develop intelligent solutions …
Docker in Action, Second Edition
Docker in Action, Second Edition teaches you to create, deploy, and manage applications hosted in Docker …
Hands-On Network Programming with C
A comprehensive guide to programming with network sockets, implementing Internet protocols, designing IoT devices, and much …