Directing the Documentary is a comprehensive manual that has inspired over 100,000 readers worldwide. If you are interested in making documentary films, everything you need technically and conceptually is here. Filled with practical advice on every stage of production, this is the book you will return to throughout your career.
Directing the Documentary covers the methods, technologies, thought processes, and judgments that a director must use throughout the fascinating process of making a film. It emphasizes low-cost digital technology, which allows cutting-edge creativity and professionalism on shoestring budgets. And, recognizing that you learn best by doing, the book includes dozens of practical hands-on projects and activities to help you master technical and conceptual skills.
Just as important as surmounting technological hurdles is the conceptual and authorial side of filmmaking. This book offers eminently practical tools and exercises to help you develop credible and compelling stories. It shows you how to surpass mere technical proficiency and become a storyteller with a distinctive voice and style.
for the book's companion website.
Table of contents
- Preface to the Fifth Edition
BOOK I: FUNDAMENTALS
- PART 1: YOU AND YOUR IDEAS
- PART 2: DOCUMENTARIES AND FILM LANGUAGE
- PART 3: PREPRODUCTION
- PART 4: PRODUCTION
- PART 5: POSTPRODUCTION
BOOK II: ADVANCED ISSUES
- PART 6: DOCUMENTARY AESTHETICS
PART 7: ADVANCED PRODUCTION ISSUES
- PART 7A. ADVANCED PREPRODUCTION
- PART 7B. ADVANCED PRODUCTION
- PART 7C. ADVANCED POSTPRODUCTION
- PART 8: EDUCATION AND STARTING YOUR CAREER
- Title: Directing the Documentary, 5th Edition
- Release date: January 2014
- Publisher(s): Focal Press
- ISBN: 9781317666127