KNOWING WHAT TO EXPECT
Hazards, Vulnerability, and Disasters
Pretest to assess your knowledge on hazards, vulnerability, and disasters.Determine where you need to concentrate your effort.
What You'll Learn in This Chapter
- Differences between accidents, emergencies, and disasters
- General emergency management responsibilities
- Types of natural, technological, and anthropogenic hazards
- The interaction of hazards and vulnerability
- The nature and impact of disasters
- The need for response and recovery operations
After Studying This Chapter, You'll Be Able To
- Understand the diverse sizes and scope of disasters.
- Differentiate among the diverse hazard categories.
- Comprehend the relation among hazards, vulnerability, and disasters.
- Examine the overlap between response and recovery operations.
- Identify demands to be met in a disaster.
Goals and Outcomes
- Compare and contrast different disaster magnitudes.
- Define and use basic disaster and emergency management terminology.
- Evaluate distinct types of hazards as well as common disaster characteristics.
- Predict changes resulting from disasters.
- Evaluate the importance of response and recovery operations.
Welcome to the intriguing disaster discipline and the indispensable response and recovery profession! As a current or future emergency manager, it is crucial that you are aware of the important concepts relating to your vital duties and responsibilities. It is especially imperative that you are able to distinguish ...