ANTICIPATING HUMAN BEHAVIOR IN DISASTERS
Myths, Exaggerations, and Realities
Pretest to assess your knowledge on human behavior in disasters.Determine where you need to concentrate your effort.
What You'll Learn in This Chapter
- The impact of Hollywood and media portrayals about disaster behavior
- Research about human responses to disasters
- Reasons why researchers must study human behavior
- What people actually do in the aftermath of disaster
- The importance of understanding behavior correctly
After Studying This Chapter, You'll Be Able To
- Compare and contrast the meaning of the words “myth” and “exaggerations.”
- Examine what really happens in disaster situations.
- Identify ways to prevent the spread of incorrect views about human conduct after disasters.
- Explain how views about behavior affect response and recovery activities.
Goals and Outcomes
- Evaluate the accuracy of Hollywood films and media broadcasts about disaster behavior.
- Assess fact and fiction about disaster behavior.
- Argue against inaccurate views about disaster response and recovery operations.
- Predict human behavior in disasters and respond accordingly.
In order to react to a disaster effectively, it is imperative that you understand people's misperceptions about human behavior. Much of this comes from Hollywood films and the mass media. Unfortunately, the information presented in movies and by reporters focuses on sensational and unusual stories. For this reason, it is vital that you ...