The core of our emotional intelligence
Below the cerebral cortex, we have four distinct areas, which I have outlined in the image below:
The parts shown in the illustration are as follows:
- The cerebral cortex: Top layers of the brain
- Anterior cingulate cortex: Regulates empathy and emotions
- Angular gyrus: Comprehension of language and combined sensory information
- Back of brain
- The cerebellum
- The brain stem
- Insula: Regulates pain and disgust responses
- Front of brain
- Inferior frontal gyrus: Guidance of movements and assessment intentions.
These areas are within the limbic (emotional) system, located in the central part of our brain, ...
Get Discover Your Emotional Intelligence now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.