Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks have existed for almost as long as the commercial web itself, and they remain one of the most effective ways to disrupt online services. But, since many of these attacks go undisclosed, industry collaboration on ways to combat them has been slow to emerge. This ebook provides engineers and IT managers with techniques for detecting and mitigating ongoing and potential DDoS events.
Authors Rich Groves and Eric Chou explain how DDoS can disrupt services by flooding your network with traffic from many different sources, often by using a botnet. You’ll learn about the people behind these attacks and their motivations—such as criminals seeking financial gain, thrill and status seekers, and angry and disgruntled users—and ways that you can thwart them.
The techniques in this ebook enable small to mid-sized organizations to implement DDoS prevention measures on a budget—before the size of your infrastructure requires the services of a commercial DDoS vendor.
- Get an overview of DDoS, including common attacks, botnet-driven attacks, and those that take advantage of IoT devices
- Explore the pros and cons of current DDoS detection methods and mechanisms
- Study the approach to DDoS mitigation at the network and application level, including ways to combat SYN Flood and Classic Flood attacks
- Evaluate cloud-based DDoS detection and mitigation vendors to determine the best fit for your organization
- Learn how to leverage community-based systems to construct a DDoS-focused Threat Intelligence system
Table of contents
1. DDoS Attacks: Overview
- What Are DDoS Attacks?
- Why Are DDoS Attacks Effective?
- Who Is Behind the Attacks and What Is Their Motivation?
- Common Types of DDoS Attacks
- Botnets and IoT Devices
- 2. DDoS Detection
3. DDoS Mitigation and Countermeasures
- DDoS Terms and Traffic Flow
- DDoS Mitigation Topology
- Network-Level Mitigation Tools
- Session-Level Mitigation Tools
- Example 1: Combating the Classic Flood
- Example 2: Combating State Exhaustion
- Emulate DDoS Attacks for Better Response
4. Evaluating Cloud-Based Mitigation Vendors
- Why Use Cloud-Based DDoS Mitigation?
- When Not to Use Cloud-Based DDoS Mitigation
- Cloud-Based DDoS Mitigation Methods
- DDoS Mitigation Mechanism in the Cloud
- 5. DDoS Focused Threat Intelligence
- 6. Final Thoughts
- Title: Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS)
- Release date: April 2018
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492026174
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …