How Design CAN CHANGE the World
Today, everyone is a designer. And the future of civilization is our common design project.
How does design help choose our
Why do we really have an environmental crisis?
How can accessible design broaden your audience?
Why does the U.S. economy now struggle to compete?
How has design thinking added to the bottom line of the world’s most valuable companies?
Design matters. As it never has before.
Design creates so much of what we see, what we use, and what we experience. In a time of unprecedented environmental, social, and economic crises, designers must now choose what their young profession will be about: deploying weapons of mass deception — or helping repair the world.
Do Good Design is a call to
This book alerts us to the role design plays in persuading global audiences to fulfill invented needs. The book then outlines a sustainable approach to both the practice and the consumption of design. All professionals will be inspired by the message of how we can feel better and do better while holding onto our principles.
In a time when anything has become possible, design thinking offers a way forward for us all.
What will you do?
Table of Contents
- Foreword To The Chinese Edition
- Letter From Aiga
- A designer is
The Creative Brief: Disarming the Weapons of Mass Deception
- 1. Start Now
- 2. Beyond Green: a Convenient Lie
- 3. Pop Landscape
- 4. The Weapons: Visual Lies, Manufactured Needs
- 5. Where The Truth Lies: A Slippery Slope
- 6. Wine, Women, and Water
- 7. Losing Our Senses
The Design Solution: Convenient Truths
- 8. Why our time is the Perfect time
- 9. How to Lie, How to Tell the Truth
- 10. How we do Good is how we do Good
- 11. Professional Climate Change
The Do Good Pledge
- 12. “What Can Any Professional Do?” Commit!
- A. First Things First Manifesto
- B. Excerpt From The Gdc’s Code of Ethics
- C. Excerpt from Aiga’s Standards of Professional Practice
- D. The Road to Norway and China
- Questions for Discussion
- Acknowledgments: A Small Group of Concerned Citizens
- About the Author
- Title: Do Good: How Design Can Change the World
- Release date: December 2008
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780321573599