The established way to deploy Java applications requires you to install the Java Development Kit (JDK), plus an application server, web server, database, and other components in a data center, whether on-premise or in the cloud. Though this process works well enough, Docker containers can save you many headaches when it comes to packaging, deploying, and scaling your applications.
In this O’Reilly report, author Arun Gupta explains Docker’s basic concepts and the commonly used orchestration frameworks around them. You’ll learn how to achieve faster startup and deployments on both Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and understand how these containers improve portability across machines and reduce the impedance mismatch between development, testing, and production environments.
Update: Coming in Fall 2016, this report will include a chapter that explains how to load balance multiple Java application servers running as Docker containers. Learn how to provide low latency to the client by caching responses and enable health monitoring on your applications.
- Get up to speed on Docker basics, including its image format and toolset for building, shipping, and running containers
- Build and run your first Docker container by deploying a sample Java EE application with Docker Compose and Docker Swarm
- Manage Docker images and containers with IDEs such as NetBeans, Eclipse, and IntelliJ IDEA
- Use a Maven plugin to create a Docker image and start a container
- Ensure that user requests are appropriately distributed among servers through weighted load balancing
Table of contents
- 1. Introduction to Docker
2. Docker and Your First Application
- Build Your First Docker Image
- Run Your First Docker Container
- Push Image to Docker hub
- Multi-Container and Multi-Host Application
- Deploying Application Using Docker Compose and Swarm
- Deploying an Application Using Kubernetes
- 3. Docker and Java Tooling
- 4. Conclusion
- Title: Docker for Java Developers
- Release date: June 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491957561
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Modern Java Recipes
The introduction of functional programming concepts in Java SE 8 was a drastic change for this …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …