Chapter 3. Software installation simplified
This chapter covers
- Identifying software
- Finding and installing software with Docker Hub
- Installing software from alternative sources
- Understanding file system isolation
- How images and layers work
- Benefits of images with layers
Chapters 1 and 2 introduce all-new concepts and abstractions provided by Docker. This chapter dives deeper into container file systems and software installation. It breaks down software installation into three steps, as illustrated in figure 3.1.
Figure 3.1. Flow of topics covered in this chapter
The first step in installing any software is identifying the software ...