Driving Results Through Social Networks shows executives and managers how to obtain substantial performance and innovation impact by better leveraging these traditionally invisible assets. For the past decade, Rob Cross and Robert J. Thomas have worked closely with executives from over a hundred top-level companies and government agencies. In this groundbreaking book, they describe in-depth how these leaders are using network thinking to increase revenues, lower costs, and accelerate innovation.
Table of Contents
I. ALIGNMENT: How to Ensure That Networks Support Strategic Objectives
- 1. ALIGNING NETWORKS WITH STRATEGIC VALUE PROPOSITIONS
- 2. WORKING THROUGH NETWORKS TO ALIGN CULTURE AND STRATEGY
II. EXECUTION: How to Drive Network Management into Core Processes
- 3. MANAGING RAPID INNOVATION THROUGH EFFECTIVE NETWORKS
- 4. DRIVING FINANCIAL RETURN THROUGH NETWORK INVESTMENTS
- 5. DELIVERING RESULTS THROUGH PROCESS NETWORKS
6. DELIVERING RESULTS THROUGH PROJECT-BASED NETWORKS
- 6.1. Delivering Results Through Networks in Sales, Innovation, and Execution Teams
6.2. Rapidly Forming Networks at the Point of Execution
- 6.2.1. Question 1: Are the Right Voices Influencing the Team's Trajectory?
- 6.2.2. Question 2: Is the Team Appropriately Connected for the Task at Hand?
- 6.2.3. Question 3: Has the Team Cultivated Important External Relationships?
- 6.2.4. Question 4: Are Value-Added Collaborations Occurring in the Team Network?
- 6.2.5. Question 5: Do Underlying Relationship Qualities Yield Effective Collaboration at the Point of Need?
- 6.2.6. Question 6: Does Organizational Context Support Collaboration and Momentum?
- 6.3. Conclusion
III. ADAPTATION: How To Promote Flexibility Through Network-Centric Human Resource Practices
7. DRIVING PERFORMANCE BY REPLICATING HIGH PERFORMERS' NETWORKS
- 7.1. Replicating High Performers' Networks
- 7.2. The Structural Dimension: Bridging Positions in Networks
- 7.3. The Relational Dimension: Managing Relationships That Extend Individual Expertise and Avoid Learning Biases
- 7.4. The Behavioral Dimension: Attitudes and Networking Behaviors Associated with High Performers
- 7.5. Conclusion
- 8. SPEEDING PRODUCTIVITY IN NEWCOMERS AND AVOIDING KNOWLEDGE DRAIN
- 9. THE ROAD AHEAD: EMERGING OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE NETWORK PERSPECTIVE
- 7. DRIVING PERFORMANCE BY REPLICATING HIGH PERFORMERS' NETWORKS
- About The Authors
- Title: Driving Results Through Social Networks: How Top Organizations Leverage Networks for Performance and Growth
- Release date: January 2009
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470392492