After reading this chapter, you will be familiar with:
- Behavioural aspects of assertive, aggressive, and non-assertive responses
- Verbal and non-verbal aspects of assertive, aggressive, and non-assertive responses
- Assertive/responsive model
- Advantages of assertiveness
- Strategies to overcome non-assertive behaviour
Many people have difficulty speaking up in conflict situations. Others may feel intimidated by intimidating people, or have low self-esteem and regularly put aside their own desires in favour of what others want. This can result in a lack of assertiveness, low self-esteem, and helplessness. Lack of assertiveness makes you feel powerless. Sometimes, if we feel our rights are being violated, we need ...