Learn the methods you need to bring data to life through effective visualizations. In this video course, host Jeffrey Heer—co-founder of Trifacta—takes you through best practices for designing interactive visualizations, performing exploratory data analysis, and examining multidimensional data.
You’ll begin by learning the value of visualization, through design principles drawn from graphic design, visual art, perceptual psychology, and cognitive science. Using Trifacta’s data transformation tools to illustrate some of the concepts, you’ll also learn techniques for scaling visualizations to extremely large data sets.
In two parts—Effective Visualization Design and Visualizing Big Data—this course will teach you practical tips on topics including:
- Visualization design fundamentals: data and image models, graphical perception, and color design
- Visual data analysis and exploration: exploratory data analysis, multidimensional data, interaction techniques
- Data reduction strategies: sampling, aggregation, and model fitting
- Effective visualization of big data: scalable visual encoding methods and interaction techniques
Jeffrey Heer is a co-founder and CXO (Chief Experience Officer) at Trifacta Inc. He spent many years as a professor of Computer Science at Stanford University, where he led the Stanford Visualization Group. His group created several popular tools, including D3.js (Data-Driven Documents) and Data Wrangler. Jeff is currently a faculty member of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington.
Table of contents
- The Value of Visualization 00:15:41
- Data and Image Models 00:18:26
- Multidimensional Data 00:17:21
- Design Principles 00:03:21
- Graphical Perception 00:10:09
- Color 00:16:54
- Perceptual Redesigns 00:06:26
- Interaction Techniques 00:28:06
- Analysis Example - Antibiotic Effectiveness 00:14:27
- Demonstration: Trifacta Visual Profiling 00:12:56
- Visualizing Big Data: Visual Encoding 00:17:51
- Visualizing Big Data: Supporting Interaction 00:11:26
- Title: Effective Data Visualization
- Release date: January 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491917015
You might also like
Storytelling with Data
Influence action through data! This is not a book. It is a one-of-a-kind immersive learning experience …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …