Learn the methods you need to bring data to life through effective visualizations. In this video course, host Jeffrey Heer—co-founder of Trifacta—takes you through best practices for designing interactive visualizations, performing exploratory data analysis, and examining multidimensional data.
You’ll begin by learning the value of visualization, through design principles drawn from graphic design, visual art, perceptual psychology, and cognitive science. Using Trifacta’s data transformation tools to illustrate some of the concepts, you’ll also learn techniques for scaling visualizations to extremely large data sets.
In two parts—Effective Visualization Design and Visualizing Big Data—this course will teach you practical tips on topics including:
- Visualization design fundamentals: data and image models, graphical perception, and color design
- Visual data analysis and exploration: exploratory data analysis, multidimensional data, interaction techniques
- Data reduction strategies: sampling, aggregation, and model fitting
- Effective visualization of big data: scalable visual encoding methods and interaction techniques
Jeffrey Heer is a co-founder and CXO (Chief Experience Officer) at Trifacta Inc. He spent many years as a professor of Computer Science at Stanford University, where he led the Stanford Visualization Group. His group created several popular tools, including D3.js (Data-Driven Documents) and Data Wrangler. Jeff is currently a faculty member of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington.
Table of contents
- The Value of Visualization
- Data and Image Models
- Multidimensional Data
- Design Principles
- Graphical Perception
- Perceptual Redesigns
- Interaction Techniques
- Analysis Example - Antibiotic Effectiveness
- Demonstration: Trifacta Visual Profiling
- Visualizing Big Data: Visual Encoding
- Visualizing Big Data: Supporting Interaction
- Title: Effective Data Visualization
- Release date: January 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491917015
You might also like
Just Enough Math
With the commercial successes of machine learning and cloud computing, many business people need just enough …
Data Science for Business
Written by renowned data science experts Foster Provost and Tom Fawcett, Data Science for Business introduces …
Statistics for Data Science and Business Analysis
Statistics you need in the office: Descriptive and inferential statistics, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis About …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …