Ground Rules for Effective Action Items
1. Ensure all actions items include the work to be done, the date it is due and the person responsible for it.
2. When a new action item is identified during the meeting, clearly state the details.
3. If you have access to a flip chart or white board, write it out. If not, slowly and clearly state it ensuring that everyone, but especially the person responsible, understands it.
4. At the end of the meeting, review the list of action items.
5. As appropriate, indicate how the task supports the overall team goals.
6. Include the action items due in the meeting notice and agenda for the next meeting.
7. As appropriate, after the meeting, contact the person responsible to see if he or she needs help.