Organizations that don’t take steps to address future talent needs at all levels will face certain disruptions, and even disasters, when key employees leave. The most comprehensive book on the subject, Effective Succession Planning helps readers:
- Identify competencies and clarify organizational values
- Plan for and quickly fill crucial vacancies at all levels
- Develop and retain top talent, building and preserving the organization’s intellectual capital
- Assess current needs and future resources for seamless succession planning
- And more
Covering best practices, current trends, and the latest technology, the fifth edition also features new and revised material on: succession planning for small businesses and nonprofits; replacement planning; transition management; downsizing; international issues; mergers and acquisitions as a talent strategy; and succession planning for technical positions as well as roles built on longstanding social relationships.
Packed with enlightening case studies and practical guidance, Effective Succession Planning remains an indispensable resource for any organization concerned with retaining the accumulated wisdom of its most valued employees.
Table of contents
- List of Exhibits
- Preface to the Fifth Edition
- Advance Organizer for This Book
- Quick Start Guide
Part I The Essentials of Succession Planning and Management
Chapter 1 What Is Succession Planning and Management?
- Six Ministudies: Can You Solve These Succession Problems?
- Defining Succession Planning and Management
- Distinguishing Succession Planning and Management from Replacement Planning, Workforce Planning, Talent Management, and Human Capital Management
- Making the Business Case for Succession Planning and Management
- Which Comes First, Talent or Strategy?
- Reasons for a Succession Planning and Management Program
- Different Reasons to Launch Succession Planning and Management Depending on Global Location
- The Current Status of Succession Planning: What Research Shows
- The Most Famous Question in Succession: To Tell or Not to Tell?
- Management Succession Planning, Technical Succession Planning, or Social Network Succession Planning: What Are You Planning For?
- Best Practices and Approaches
- Ensuring Leadership Continuity in Organizations
- Chapter 2 Trends Influencing Succession Planning and Management
Chapter 3 Moving to a State-of-the-Art Approach
- The Present Status of Succession Planning Programs
- Characteristics of Effective Succession Planning Programs
- Common Mistakes and Missteps to Avoid
- The Life Cycle of Succession Planning and Management Programs: Five Generations
- Integrating Whole Systems Transformational Change and Appreciative Inquiry into Succession: What Are These Topics, and What Added Value Do They Bring?
- Requirements for a New Approach
- Key Steps in a New Approach
- A Second Dimension: Technical Succession Planning
- A Third Dimension: Social Relationship Succession Planning
- Transition Management and Mergers, Acquisitions, and Takeovers
Chapter 4 Competency Identification, Values Clarification, and Ethics: Keys to Succession Planning and Management
- What Are Competencies?
- How Are Competencies Used in Succession Planning and Management?
- Conducting Competency Identification Studies
- Using Competency Models
- Newest Developments in Competency Identification, Modeling, and Assessment
- What’s the Focus: Management or Technical Competencies?
- Identifying and Using “Generic” and “Culture-Specific” Competency Development Strategies to Build Bench Strength
- What Are Values, and What Is Values Clarification?
- How Are Values Used in Succession Planning and Management?
- Conducting Values Clarification Studies
- Using Values Clarification
- What Are Ethics, and How Are Ethics Used in SP&M?
- ing It All Together: Competencies, Values, and Ethics
- Chapter 1 What Is Succession Planning and Management?
Part II Laying the Foundation for a Succession Planning and Management Program
Chapter 5 Making the Case for Major Change
- Assessing Current Problems and Practices
- Demonstrating the Need
- Determining Organizational Requirements
- Linking Succession Planning and Management Activities to Organizational and Human Resource Strategy
- Benchmarking Best Practices and Common Business Practices in Other Organizations
- Obtaining and Building Management Commitment
- The Key Role of the CEO in the Succession Effort
- The Key Daily Role of Managers in the Succession Effort
- Sustaining Support for the Succession Effort
Chapter 6 Starting a Systematic Program
- Strategic Choices of Where to Start and How to Start
- Conducting a Risk Analysis and Building a Commitment to Change
- Clarifying Program Roles
- Formulating a Mission Statement
- Writing Policy and Procedures
- Identifying Target Groups
- Clarifying the Roles of the CEO, Senior Managers, and Others
- Setting Program Priorities
- Addressing the Legal Framework
- Establishing Strategies for Rolling Out the Program
- Chapter 7 Refining the Program
- Chapter 5 Making the Case for Major Change
Part III Assessing the Present and the Future
- Chapter 8 Assessing Present Work Requirements and Individual Job Performance
Chapter 9 Assessing Future Work Requirements and Individual Potential
- Identifying Key Positions and Talent Requirements for the Future
- Three Approaches for Determining Future Work Requirements in Key Positions
- Assessing Individual Potential: The Traditional Approach
- A List of Potential Assessment Approaches
- Are There Other Ways to Think of Potential Assessment?
- Other Issues in Potential Assessment
Part IV Closing the “Developmental Gap”: Operating and Evaluating a Succession Planning and Management Program
Chapter 10 Developing Internal Successors
- Using Grids to Guide Management Decision Making
- Testing Bench Strength
- Talent Review Meetings
- Formulating Internal Promotion Policy
- Preparing Individual Development Plans
- Evaluating Individual Development Plans
- Developing Successors Internally
- The Importance of an Inventory of Developmental Experiences
- Formal, Social, and Informal Learning Experiences to Build Competence
- Relating Engagement to Succession Planning and Talent Management
- Relating Deployment to Succession Planning and Talent Management
- The Role of Leadership Development Programs
- The Role of Coaching
- The Role of Executive Coaching
- The Role of Mentoring
- The Role of Action Learning
- The Role of Acceleration Pools
- Chapter 11 Assessing Alternatives to Internal Development
- Chapter 12 Integrating Recruitment with Succession Planning
- Chapter 13 Integrating Retention with Succession Planning
- Chapter 14 Using Technology to Support Succession Planning and Management Programs
- Chapter 15 Evaluating Succession Planning and Management Programs
- Chapter 16 The Future of Succession Planning and Management
- Chapter 10 Developing Internal Successors
- Appendix I: Selected Websites
- Appendix II: A Guide for Replacement Planning
- Appendix III: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Succession Planning and Management
- About the Author
- Free Sample Excerpt from High-Impact Human Capital Strategy by Jack J. Phillips and Patricia Pulliam Phillips
- Title: Effective Succession Planning, 5th Edition
- Release date: November 2015
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814449165
You might also like
Measuring the Success of Leadership Development: A Step-by-Step Guide for Measuring Impact and Calculating ROI
Evaluate leadership development programs all the way to impact and ROI. Globally, a record amount is …
Tiny Python Projects
The projects are tiny, but the rewards are big: each chapter in Tiny Python Projects challenges …
Programming Machine Learning
You've decided to tackle machine learning - because you're job hunting, embarking on a new project, …
Project Management Analytics: A Data-Driven Approach to Making Rational and Effective Project Decisions
To manage projects, you must not only control schedules and costs: you must also manage growing …