3Atomic Structure of Materials
OBJECTIVES: After studying this chapter, you will be able to
- Define an atom and a molecule and the difference between them
- Describe the structure of an atom
- Explain the electrons, protons, and neutrons and identify their electric charges
- Describe the atomic number and its relationship with the numbers of electrons and protons
- Define the role of electrons in the properties of materials
- Define the arrangement of electrons orbiting around the nucleus
- Explain why electrons and protons do not attract each other in any atom or molecule
- Explain the role of neutrons in an atom and define the meaning of isotopes
- Categorize the elements based on their atomic structure
- Define valence electrons and their role in electrical ...
Get Electricity and Electronics for Renewable Energy Technology now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.