ABOUT THIS CHAPTER
This chapter applies cryptographic techniques to networking. Crypto provides the most effective general-purpose techniques to protect network traffic.
• Role of crypto in communications security
• Impact of using crypto at different protocol layers
• Network key distribution techniques
• Application, network, and link layer crypto
• Policy guidance for crypto application
14.1 Communications Security
In the previous four chapters, we focused on protecting information by keeping threats away from our network. If we connect our network with the Internet, we firewall the connection to try to exclude Internet-based threats—but this doesn’t help us when we need to transfer information ...