Chapter 11: Steps Up
1. Ivory Coast reporting taken from Alan Bjerga and Shruti Date Singh, “Texas Cotton's Subsidies Help Destroy Africa's Cheaper Farmers,” Bloomberg News, October 29, 2007. Soro interview done by Pauline Dix of Bloomberg.
2. Claudia Carpenter, “Ivory Coast Contributed to Lack of Cotton Supply, Cotlook Says,” Bloomberg News, March 1, 2011.
3. Soumaila T. Diarra, “Mali: Cotton and Food Security Closely Linked,” allAfrica.com, January 17, 2011.
4. It is unlikely that every single person on earth will always be able to afford or have access to food, which is why emergency food aid programs, government and charitable nutrition assistance, etc. will remain necessary.
5. “Russia: Wheat Ban Worked,” Financial Times, May 31, 2011.