Belt and Rope Drives
Power is transmitted from one shaft to another shaft by means of belts, ropes, chains and gears. The salient features of belts and ropes are as follows:
- Belts and ropes are used in cases where the distance between the shafts is large. For small distances, gears are preferred.
- Belts and ropes are flexible type of connectors, i.e., they bend easily.
- Belts and ropes transmit power due to friction between them and the pulleys. If the power transmitted exceeds the force of friction, the belt or rope slips over the pulley.
- Belts and ropes are strained during motion as tensions are developed in them.
- Velocity ratio does not remain constant because of slip and creep.
TYPES OF BELTS
There are basically four types ...