Build your career by design not by accident
Why do some people get to the top while others—who work just as hard—don’t get past middle management? Two words: Executive Edge.
Your technical skills may get you the job, but your interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence will get you the promotion. In Enhancing Your Executive Edge, Kim Zoller and Kerry Preston provide the specific tools you need to make the jump from middle or upper management to an executive-level position. It’s not about being among the standouts in a company. It’s about being the standout.
Zoller and Preston emphasize the importance of self-awareness in relationships with colleagues, clients, and executives—including first impressions, body language, and strategic communication. Enhancing Your Executive Edge will help you hone the following:
- Self-Management and Social Awareness
- Personal Branding
- Communication and Presence
- Business Protocol
- Motivation, Perseverance, and Excellence
Competence, passion, and hard work open doors. But when you’re going for the very top spot, the competition increases exponentially—so you need to differentiate yourself. This book is designed to help you develop that special quality few people possess.
Set yourself apart and offer value where the competition doesn’t by enhancing your executive edge.
Praise for Enhancing Your Executive Edge
“With their concrete, hands-on style, Preston and Zoller teach your executives how to become leaders. And with that leadership, your brand will become more established—bigger and bolder. Enhancing Your Executive Edge delivers.”
—Edgar Bronfman Jr., former chairman and CEO of Warner Music
“Enhancing Your Executive Edge shows you how to grow professionally. Preston and Zoller offer practical advice for those seeking to raise the bar.”
—David Hoyt, president of The John Maxwell Co.
“A must-read lesson in how to succeed in today’s global marketplace.”
—Radha Arora, president of Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
“Zoller and Preston have discovered what turns good leaders into great ones. Enhancing Your Executive Edge provides a comprehensive framework we can all follow to get there.”
—JJ Ramberg, host of MSNBC’s Your Business and cofounder of Goodsearch.com
“Kim and Kerry are committed to helping you build your brand and interactions with others. This book offers the path to building your executive edge.”
—John Roth, vice president of sales, service, and marketing at General Motors
“If you’re not getting the results you want by focusing only on your technical skills, it is time to give your executive edge a boost. Zoller and Preston take us through strategies to lead successfully.”
—Ann Adams, director of management development at Mattel, Inc.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- INTRODUCTION: Executive Edge
PART I: SELF-MANAGEMENT AND SOCIAL AWARENESS
- CHAPTER 1: Self-Awareness and Feedback
- CHAPTER 2: How You Fit into the Landscape of the Company
- CHAPTER 3: Managing Yourself
- CHAPTER 4: Dealing with Personality Stallers—Ours and Others
- CHAPTER 5: Knowing How to Read People
- CHAPTER 6: Building Your SAP—Your Strategic Alliance Plan
- CHAPTER 7: Networking and Business Socializing
- CHAPTER 8: Emotional and Social Intelligence
- CHAPTER 9: Navigating Office Politics
- CHAPTER 10: Navigating Relationships
- PART II: PERSONAL BRANDING
- PART III: COMMUNICATION AND PRESENCE
- PART IV: BUSINESS PROTOCOL—THE DETAILS OF EXECUTIVE EDGE
- PART V: MOTIVATION, PERSEVERANCE, AND EXCELLENCE
- NOTE FROM KIM AND KERRY
- ABOUT THE AUTHORS
- Title: Enhancing Your Executive Edge: How to Develop the Skills to Lead and Succeed
- Release date: April 2014
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071825665
You might also like
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
In The Five Dysfunctions of a Team Patrick Lencioni once again offers a leadership fable that …
Developing and Using Executive Authority
Learn how to become an influential leader capable of empowering and inspiring your organization.
Leading from Your Best Self: Develop Executive Poise, Presence, and Influence to Maximize Your Potential
Proven techniques for building self-confidence, making personal connections, and developing a professional presence that’s powerful, authentic, …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …