DevOps may be an evolutionary step beyond the agile methodology, but applying agile practices on a software development team is one thing; mastering DevOps throughout the enterprise is quite another. This playbook, derived from Booz Allen Hamilton’s extended experience with several DevOps initiatives, will help you successfully adopt this game-changing system in your organization to address deployment as well as development.
Authors Bill Ott, Jimmy Pham, and Haluk Saker provide a practical roadmap that will help you define the steps necessary to meet your DevOps goals. The playbook distills DevOps into seven key practice areas that you can adapt to the DevOps style that best fits your organization. You’ll understand how company culture plays a fundamental role in your ability to use DevOps effectively.
- Develop the team by finding the right people, tuning the company culture, and learning DevOps principles
- Take a deep dive into each of the seven DevOps practices and gain a better understanding of what they mean to your organization
- Determine your organization’s strengths and weaknesses in each DevOps practice area
- Create a DevOps pipeline to put your practices into action, and establish a repeatable process for code development and changes
- Measure your DevOps pipeline to learn where you are, where you’re going, and where you should be
Bill Ott is a Digital VP in Booz Allen Hamilton’s Strategic Innovation Group with responsibility over the Digital Interactive team. He brings 20 years of professional experience in the field, working with government and commercial clients.
Jimmy Pham is an avid technologist who’s designed, developed, and managed large software solutions for major private and public customers. He’s a Chief Technologist at Booz Allen Hamilton, focusing on Modern Software Development.
Haluk Saker is a director with the Digital team and a 20-year veteran of Booz Allen. An experienced system/cloud architect, he leads Digital’s DevOps practice, microservices architecture, and numerous cloud platforms investments.
Table of contents
1. Enterprise DevOps Playbook
- Play 1: Develop the Team—Culture, Principles, and Roles
- Play 2: Study the DevOps Practices
- Play 3: Assess Your DevOps Maturity Level and Define a Roadmap
- Play 4: Create a DevOps Pipeline
- Play 5: Learn and Improve through Metrics and Visibility
- Recommended Reading
- Title: Enterprise DevOps Playbook
- Release date: December 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491974179
You might also like
Kubernetes Best Practices
In this practical guide, four Kubernetes professionals with deep experience in distributed systems, enterprise application development, …
Python for DevOps
Much has changed in technology over the past decade. Data is hot, the cloud is ubiquitous, …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …