IT professionals continue to sing the praises of Docker and other container technologies, but so far, most enterprises have only managed to put a toe in the water. Many companies use Docker only for staging and testing purposes with relatively little adoption within production environments. With this practical book, you’ll learn how your enterprise can fully leverage Docker and other container platforms in a systematic way.
Author and analyst Christopher Tozzi shows executives and DevOps personnel how to use containers and microservices more extensively and effectively than they do now. This book dives into Docker’s functionality and explores other types of container and microservices technologies (such as system containers and unikernels) that can help enterprises achieve next-generation efficiency in their IT operations.
- Dive into Docker’s killer features and learn how this technology can complement or replace your existing infrastructure
- Understand the differences between containers and virtual machines and learn when to use the former, the latter, or both in combination
- Explore the types of companies that have adopted Docker successfully, and the migration challenges they’ve faced
- Get a brief history of microservices and containerization to understand how containers arrived in the enterprise
- Learn resources to help smooth your Docker migration—and pitfalls to avoid
- Go beyond Docker to learn the entire landscape of application containers, system containers, and unikernels
- Examine three key areas that the container ecosystem needs to develop to ensure containers’ lasting influence on the enterprise
Table of Contents
- 1. Understanding Docker
2. Why Docker Matters for an Enterprise
- Docker’s Killer Features
- Docker and DevOps
- Docker and Virtual Machines
- 3. Who’s Using Docker, and for What?
- 4. Docker Migration Guide
- 5. Beyond Docker: System Containers and Unikernels
- 6. The Future of Enterprise Containers
- 7. A Brief History of Microservices and Containerization
- Title: Enterprise Docker
- Release date: June 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491977026