After reading this chapter, students will be able to:
- Define and identify the causes, effects and control measures of air pollution, water pollution, soil pollution, marine pollution, noise pollution, thermal pollution, and nuclear hazards.
- Explain solid waste management.
- Describe the causes, effects and control measures of urban and industrial wastes.
- Explain the role of individuals in the prevention of pollution.
- Describe case studies.
- Outline the fundamentals of disaster management in the event of flood, earthquakes, cyclones, and landslides.
Environmental pollution dates back to the time when man discovered the use of fire. The burning of fossil fuels (wood, coal, and oil ...