InDesign, not to mention Word, doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of the design capabilities available in EPUB. I haven’t found an EPUB editor that does. Regardless of what you start with—InDesign, Word or handcoded XHTML—you can always add additional effects with a text editor in order to take advantage of all that EPUB supports. In this chapter, you’ll learn about:
• Ensuring ereaders use your CSS
• How InDesign writes XHTML and CSS and what to do about it
• How to choose and specify fonts for your ebook
• How to keep elements together, create drop caps and small caps, control spacing and indents, deal with short lines, and insert borders and backgrounds
• What to do about hyphenation
• How to insert ...