Socially Desirable Ends 83
em_detail.jhtml?id=R0612D&_requestid=46501. I like how this
one example so succinctly captures how truly strategic planning
benefits society, which then in turn benefits your organization.
19. Hansen, C. (2007). Hot iPods: Is there a way to stop thieves
cold? A Dateline hidden camera investigation. http://www.msnbc.
msn.com/id/20078671/ Accessed August 6, 2007.
20. The patent was filed on December 20, 2005, US Patent
21. Rogers, E. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5
ed). New York:
22. Personal Communications, James Groves, Asst. Dean of
Research and Outreach, University of Virginia School of
Engineering and Applied Sciences
23. Stolovich & Keeps, 1999; Villachica & Stone, 1999; there are
other types of systemic barriers to ideal performance, but here we
look at consequences
24. Deming, 1972, 1982, 1986; Juran, 1988
25. (Kaufman, 1996, p. 112, reprinted from 1977)
26. Kaufman, Watkins & Guerra, 2002
27. 2005—from PIQ issue
28. Chow, 2008; Chow, Whitlock & Moore, 2007
29. This narrative is based on actual events in Denver, Colorado. On
May 15, 2004, a girder supporting an overpass over the major
interstate of I-70 in the Denver metro area fell, killing a family of
three inside an SUV. The actual events were reported by KMGH,
the ABC affiliate in Denver.
30. 1996—Kaufman’s chapter in Ely’s collection Classics
31. March 27, 2008—link if possible
32. 2008—Moore, Ellsworth, Kaufman
33. In the 2005 issue of Performance Improvement Quarterly (volume
18, number 3)
34. An archived version of this report can be found on CNN—