The updated second edition of the bestselling guide to the changes your organisation needs to make to comply with the EU GDPR.
“The clear language of the guide and the extensive explanations, help to explain the many doubts that arise reading the articles of the Regulation.”
Giuseppe G. Zorzino
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will supersede the 1995 EU Data Protection Directive (DPD) and all EU member states’ national laws based on it – including the UK Data Protection Act 1998 – in May 2018.
All organisations – wherever they are in the world – that process the personal data of EU residents must comply with the Regulation. Failure to do so could result in fines of up to €20 million or 4% of annual global turnover.
This book provides a detailed commentary on the GDPR, explains the changes you need to make to your data protection and information security regimes, and tells you exactly what you need to do to avoid severe financial penalties.
Now in its second edition, EU GDPR – An Implementation and Compliance Guide is a clear and comprehensive guide to this new data protection law, explaining the Regulation, and setting out the obligations of data processors and controllers in terms you can understand.Topics covered include:
New for the second edition:
- The role of the data protection officer (DPO) – including whether you need one and what they should do.
- Risk management and data protection impact assessments (DPIAs), including how, when and why to conduct a DPIA.
- Data subjects’ rights, including consent and the withdrawal of consent; subject access requests and how to handle them; and data controllers’ and processors’ obligations.
- International data transfers to “third countries” – including guidance on adequacy decisions and appropriate safeguards; the EU-US Privacy Shield; international organisations; limited transfers; and Cloud providers.
- How to adjust your data protection processes to transition to GDPR compliance, and the best way of demonstrating that compliance.
- A full index of the Regulation to help you find the articles and stipulations relevant to your organisation.
- Additional definitions.
- Further guidance on the role of the DPO.
- Greater clarification on data subjects’ rights.
- Extra guidance on data protection impact assessments.
- More detailed information on subject access requests (SARs).
- Clarification of consent and the alternative lawful bases for processing personal data.
- New appendix: implementation FAQ.
- The GDPR will have a significant impact on organisational data protection regimes around the world. EU GDPR – An Implementation and Compliance Guide shows you exactly what you need to do to comply with the new law.