Want Market Share? Google It!
“Google is a once-in-a-generation company. Aaron Goldman has written an essential book that goes beyond telling us how Google became so important to explaining why the revolution it’s leading will affect everyone in media and marketing.”
—Brian Morrissey, Digital Editor, Adweek
“An insightful tour of the elements that have made Google successful combined with a usable guide on how to apply this learning to your business.”
—Rishad Tobaccowala , Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer, Vivaki
About the Book
You know you’ve hit it big when your name becomes a verb—and no one knows that better than Google. In just over 10 years, Google has become the world’s most valuable brand, consistently dominating its category and generating $6 billion in revenue per quarter.
How does Google do it? In a word: marketing.
You may not think Google does much marketing. Indeed, it doesn’t do a lot of what has traditionally been viewed as marketing. But in today’s digital world, marketing has taken new shape—and Google is at the cutting edge.
In Everything I Know about Marketing I Learned from Google, digital marketing expert Aaron Goldman offers 20 powerful lessons straight from Google’s playbook. Taking you deep into the inner workings of the Googleplex (which are simpler than you think), Goldman provides the knowledge and tools you need to build and grow your brand (which is also simpler than you think).
Along the way, he shows how Google’s tactics are being used by a wide range of successful corporations, from Apple to Zappos. Key principles include:
- Tap into the Wisdom of Crowds: Get the signals you need directly from your customers
- Keep It Simple, Stupid: Craft messages people can grasp in a nanosecond and pass along
- Don’t Interrupt: Join the conversation— but avoid disrupting it
- Act Like Content: Provide value, not sales pitches
- Test Everything: Take no detail of your program for granted; you can always improve
- Show Off Your Assets: Distribute your brand everywhere
The beauty of it all is that these Googley lessons can be applied to every aspect of marketing, in organizations of any size. Whether you run a PR department in a multinational corporation or serve as the sole marketer in a small business, these tactics work.
In its mission to “organize the world’s information,” Google has rewritten the book on marketing. UseEverything I Know about Marketing I Learned from Google to remake your own organization’s marketing—and engage more customers than ever.
Table of contents
- Acknowledgments and Other Miscellany 00:00:16
- Introduction 00:14:48
- Chapter 1: Relevancy Rules 00:19:01
- Chapter 2: Tap the Wisdom of Crowds 00:24:39
- Chapter 3: Keep It Simple, Stupid 00:21:39
- Chapter 4: Mindset Matters 00:22:46
- Chapter 5: Be Where Your Audience Is 00:23:37
- Chapter 6: Don't Interrupt 00:21:11
- Chapter 7: Act Like Content 00:23:32
- Chapter 8: Test Everything 00:22:41
- Chapter 9: Track Everything 00:26:17
- Chapter 10: Let the Data Decide 00:35:28
- Chapter 11: Brands Can Be Answers 00:21:53
- Chapter 12: Your Unique Selling Proposition Is Critical 00:23:47
- Chapter 13: Your Competition Is Broader Than You Think 00:23:08
- Chapter 14: You Can Learn a Lot from a Query 00:21:15
- Chapter 15: Sex Sells 00:20:23
- Chapter 16: Altruism Sells 00:30:37
- Chapter 17: Show Off Your Assets 00:24:55
- Chapter 18: The More Shelf Space, the Better 00:22:35
- Chapter 19: Make Your Company a Great Story 00:20:54
- Chapter 20: Don't Rely on Search Engine Marketing Alone 00:24:58
- Chapter 21: Future-Proofing 00:27:30
- Conclusion 00:00:40
- Title: Everything I Know about Marketing I Learned From Google
- Release date: August 2010
- Publisher(s): McGraw Hill-Ascent Audio
- ISBN: 9780071804486
You might also like
In Rewired, the world’s most influential management consulting firm, McKinsey & Company, delivers a road-tested, how-to …
How to Do Nothing
A galvanizing critique of the forces vying for our attention-and our personal information-that redefines what we …
The 5 Essential Principles of Think and Grow Rich
Drawn from the modern-day classic, Think & Grow Rich, this new edition dives deeper into the …
If you feel like your brain is "glitching," or working against you, know that you're not …