Business continuity is crucial to the survival of your business. Learn how to manage it effectively with this essential guide!
The risks for businesses today are increasing all the time and so are the consequences of incidents and interruptions. Too many companies lose time, customers and income because of circumstances beyond their control. Companies that have a business continuity plan in place are able to not only minimise losses and retain clients, but also win new business!
Accountability is also a new and growing aspect of running organisations. When things go wrong, people at the top are expected to be able to account for the decisions that they took, or didn't take, when times were better. Business continuity plans and arrangements developed on best-practice lines are far more likely to protect directors in the face of any post-incident enquiry.
When customers are choosing suppliers, whether looking for new ones or reviewing which to keep, most are considering not only price, but quality, financial stability and operational resilience – whether a supplier is likely to be tripped over by the slightest incident, or whether it has some credible plan. Any company can say that it has a business continuity plan, but those that can demonstrate resilience based upon best-practice principles will surely have the edge over those that cannot.
The book will guide you through domestic and international standards relating to business continuity, with particular reference to ISO22301. Companies achieving certification under the Standard will communicate to their stakeholders their commitment to uninterrupted supply.
This practical guide will show you how business continuity management can help your organisation to:
- carry out realistic risk identification and assessment
- put in place a cost-effective, 'fit-for-purpose' business continuity plan
- be more competitive
- enjoy greater customer loyalty
- conform to the legal requirements in terms of accountability, compliance, risk awareness
- return to 'business as usual' as quickly as possible after an unforeseen incident.
The time for burying our corporate heads in the sand and thinking 'It won't happen to us' is long past. It is time to identify the risks and to increase your company's resilience in the face of potential disasters. Everything you want to know about Business Continuity will show you how to develop a modern response to the operational risk landscape and how to prepare your organisation for interruptions to your key activities, minimising the impact on your bottom line, reputation and credibility. You will be able to identify and assess the risks to your company and put in place a 'fit-for-purpose' business continuity plan which will enable you to meet the expectations of your customers and stakeholders in the event of an unforeseen incident."
Table of Contents
- About The Author
- Chapter 1: The Operational Risk Landscape for Business and Other Organisations
- Chapter 2: What Does BCM Actually Achieve?
- Chapter 3: An Incredibly Short History: Early DR to 2011 BCM
- Chapter 4: The Role of Standards and Independent Validation
- Chapter 5: The Management System Approach versus a Simple BC Plan
- Chapter 6: Planning the BCMS
- Chapter 7: Identifying the Organisation’s Requirements
- Chapter 8: Strategy and Options
- Chapter 9: Incident and Crisis Response
- Chapter 10: The Assurance Process
- Chapter 11: BCM as a Competitiveness/Assurance Tool
- Chapter 12: Tools and Software
- Chapter 13: The New World of Sustainability
- Chapter 14: How to Do It
- Appendix 1: Acronyms
- Appendix 2: Business Continuity Policy
- Appendix 3: A Simple Risk Register
- Appendix 4: Incident Response Plan
- Appendix 5: Scenario Plan
- Appendix 6: Activity Recovery Plan
- Appendix 7: Document Review and Control Procedure
- Appendix 8: Corrective and Preventive Actions Form
- Appendix 9: Exercise Methodology/Procedure
- Appendix 10: BCM Software Vendors
- Appendix 11: Suggested Software Enquiry Form
- Appendix 12: BCM Audit Programme and Procedure
- Appendix 13: IT Disaster Recovery Plan/Procedure
- ITG Resources
- Title: Everything you want to know about Business Continuity
- Release date: March 2012
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849282024