Chapter 31: Frequently Asked Questions about Excel Programming
IN THIS CHAPTER
• Understanding Excel quirks
• Exploring FAQs about Excel programming
• Getting VBE help
Getting the Scoop on FAQs
If you like to cruise the Internet, you're undoubtedly familiar with FAQs — lists of frequently asked questions (and their answers) about a particular topic. FAQs are prevalent in the discussion groups and are posted in an attempt to reduce the number of messages that ask the same questions over and over again. They rarely serve their intended purpose, however, because the same questions keep appearing despite the FAQs.
I've found that people tend to ask the same questions about Excel programming, so I put together a list of FAQs that cover the following programming topics for Excel:
• Excel quirks that you can and can't work around
• Frequently asked questions about Excel programming
• Some help getting around in the Visual Basic Editor
Although this FAQ list certainly won't answer all your questions, it covers many common questions and might set you straight about a thing or two.
I organized this list of questions by assigning each question to one of these categories:
• General Excel questions
• The Visual Basic Editor (VBE)
• Sub procedures
• Function procedures
• Objects, properties, methods, and events
• Excel user interface modification
In some cases, my classifications are rather arbitrary; a question could justifiably be assigned to other categories. Moreover, ...